Doppler, A Roadies View

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Some Kind Of Monster

Sunday is a day of rest and reflection for many people. For me it’s just another day in the week. When you don’t work the "9 to5" routine the weekend just doesn’t have the same meaning.

I’m still putting things together for Mindy’s tour. The weekends do slow down a bit though. The management, agents and promoters aren’t in their offices on weekends. So us road folks are left a bit in limbo. I’m a work alcoholic when it comes to put a tour together. I just want to get things done as quickly as possible.

So last night I found myself watching Metallica’s movie "Some Kind of Monster" on VH1. It has some interesting parts to it. The DVD version has several more hours of footage. I had heard rumors that at one point they thought of calling it quits. This seems to be evident in the film.

The alcohol that they were infamous for, they were known as "Alcoholica" at one time, finally caught up to them. Vices will come back to bit you in the ass at some point, no matter what they are or who you are.

I went through a period of alcohol and some drugs while in my 20’s. Most people experiment during that time in life. Unfortunately for some it takes over their lives. This is especially true for musicians. I was lucky it never took over my life and these days I’m clean and sober.

Now if I could just do something about the junk food.

2 comment(s):

On the other hand, even after forty years and retirement, Friday still seems like it ought to be Party Night for me. I think it all began back in high school when Friday was THE night to howl.

By Blogger GregS, at 6:12 AM  

Mindy? Thanks for the interesting blog from the other side of the stage...

By Blogger Bridget Unnel, at 9:44 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home