Doppler, A Roadies View

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Friday was the worst day I’ve ever had while traveling hands down. The day started out fine, nice weather, no long lines at the airport. After a little over 2 hour flight to Atlanta to make a connection we run into some pretty bad thunderstorms. Just 8 miles from the airport the pilot makes a couple of radical moves. He was avoiding bad weather, which seemed to make scenes.

The pilot then tells us yes he was avoiding the weather, but he was also avoiding another plane. I kept thinking how close was this plane to us? Some of the other passengers later told me they saw this plane and said it was quite close. For the first time I’m actually a bit freaked out by an airline flight.

So then we circle the airport for a bit and then the pilot tells us we will be heading to Columbia, SC to refuel.

Upon arrival in Columbia we are informed that we will need to depart the plane since the flight has been cancelled. WHAT!? That’s right cancelled. They tell us we will be rebooked. Ok, fine whatever just gets me to Nashville.

I find out that they have no seats on any flights to Nashville from Columbia. So I am given an option to rider a charter bus with other passengers to Atlanta. The airline booked me on a later flight from Atlanta to Nashville. Ok I have about 5 hours until my flight.

Well wouldn’t you know that we run into traffic, no I know I mean TRAFFIC! At one point we don’t move for 45 minutes.

So instead of arriving about 7:00pm to catch a 9:30pm flight I get there at 9:04pm. I do have to thank the people at the ticket counter who got me through security quickly I was able to make it to the gate at 9:28pm and made the flight.

I then land in Nashville pick up a rental and head to the hotel. Guess what, more traffic and a half-hour wait.

Nothing like arriving seven hours late.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home