Doppler, A Roadies View

Thursday, April 14, 2005

That will show the terrorist

Today is a new day in airline travel. As of this morning you can no longer carry a lighter with you or in your carry on bag. I don’t know about you but I feel a lot safer {{sarcasm on}}. No more lighters on planes. That will show the terrorist we mean business.

I wonder what it cost to come up with this idea and then do all the studies on the issue. Does this mean we don’t have to remove are shoes at security? No wait, probably since you can still carry matches on the plane.

Well I thought they had the next potential shoe bomber stopped. No lighter, no way to set off the bomb, we dodged a bullet there.

Come on does the TSA really think anyone is going to try that stunt again. If they want to bring down a plane they will do something a bit smarter. The movie Executive Decision had terrorists trying to set off a bomb using a pocket organizer. Now granted the actual bomb was in the luggage compartment. But who’s to say they couldn’t take a Palm Pilot and make that into a bomb. Sure there are xray machines, but I think it would be possible. Plastic explosives would look like a battery or something similar on the machine. I’m no expert but I believe that is the case.

This whole lighter thing is a joke.

So I have to fly to Tennessee next week. Must remember to add to the check list no lighter in carryon. See I’m doing my part.

2 comment(s):

This is a big thing where I live ... where Zippo lighters are made. I sure feel a helluva lot safer now. (uh huh) Actually, I'd be more afraid of a person who just flew cross-country and is having a nicotine fit because he can't go outside & light a cigarette before picking up his luggage than I would be of a terrorist with a Zippo.

By Blogger Anne, at 10:12 AM  

I know a couple smokers like that.

By Blogger Doppler, at 2:39 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home