Doppler, A Roadies View

Sunday, April 17, 2005

That's right homies

I saw this quiz on a couple of other blogs. So I decided to see what it said about me and the language I speak. Here are my results.



Your Linguistic Profile:



70% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

15% Yankee

0% Dixie

0% Midwestern



What Kind of American English Do You Speak?


See what happens when you live in New England.

This quiz had me thinking. I have done several Hip Hop tours over the years. I’ve even been told I’m really "white", not to be meant in a racist or bad way. I guess I just come across that way to some.

Anyway I’ve had a lot of conversations with the artists and their entourage on these tours. There have been times when they are telling you something and then the next sentence is "Ya know wha’ I’m saying?"

Well I have to confess there were times when "No…I don’t know what you are saying". I didn’t say that too them, but I was thinking it. I eventually did learn the slang. Of course I never use it in a conversation. Friends tell me it doesn’t sound right when I say it. Like I said, I guess I am too white.

You know what I’m saying.

3 comment(s):

I find the same thing when I see certain TV shows or movies. I have no idea what certain characters are saying because I don't understand the slang.

By Blogger Given, at 2:12 PM  

Well I keep getting Dixie, and I'm a Canadian dammit. How do you explain that? And what is a Dixie?

By Blogger Jay, at 2:25 PM  

Dixie is essentially the southern people below the mason dixon line. I only got 20% dixie though and 15% yankee ...

By Blogger Blueyes, at 9:33 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home