Doppler, A Roadies View

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Six degrees of.........no not Kevin Bacon

Let me start this post by saying that I hate reality TV. I just think it’s lame. Most of them are scripted to some point. Bring back sitcoms…please.

Well CBS is into a second season of their show to rival American Idol. Rock Star: Supernova is what they are calling this year’s show. In case you haven’t heard about it this year. The group features Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Jason Newsted (Voi Vod, ex-Metallica) and Gilby Clarke (ex-Guns N Roses). The idea of the show is to find a lead singer for a new “super group”.

I should also mention that Butch Walker is producing the album, which I guess they have already begun to record.

Now I don’t know the reason for these guys doing this. Oh…wait…they are musicians. It’s about exposure and money. I can forgive them. That is why I work in the business…well the money part. No, just busting balls, if it is a “real” band great I will be interested to hear the songs. They are all talented guys.

Question, when do they plan to tour. My guess would be sometime in early 2007. Tommy has Motley Crue shows this fall touring with Aerosmith. Jason is in so many bands and projects he will have little trouble juggling the project. Gilby last put out a solo record about 4 years ago I think so his schedule is a little free. (Sarcasm in case you missed it.)

Getting back to Butch Walker. He is producing, well why not have him also sing. The guy has been a solo artist and fronted several major label bands over the years. Just a thought here but who's listening.

I want to say it is nice to see Nate Morton playing drums for the house band again this year. I know Nate from when he played with POE and Vanessa Carlton. He is an excellent rock drummer.

Yes, I admit I saw some of last season with INXS. I happened to see one of the singers and recognized him, as well as seeing Nate on the show. Marty Casey and his band Lovehammer had opened for a band I was touring with a year or so before. Marty was the runner up last season.

It’s funny Marty and I had a long conversation after the show that night about the industry and where his band was going in their career.

I really need to stay in touch with these people more….

3 comment(s):

i can't watch any of the song/dance shows..just give the Survivor and The Amazing Race

By Blogger My Shoes, at 10:50 PM  

I am too jaded from the first Rockstar season where they tried to revamp INXS by replacing the irreplaceable Michael Hutchence. He was/is one of my favorites and I think it was a dishonor to his memory. (i'm not bitter - can you tell?)

By Blogger Bar L., at 9:37 PM  

layla

I agree with you on the INXS part. Of course they have had several singers since Michael's death. They should have just went out and found a singer themselves.

They used the show for promotion as you can guess.

I have a loose contection to them. Their tour manager from the 80's when they were at their peek is a friend of mine. He taught me a lot of how to be a tour manager.

By Blogger Doppler, at 9:43 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home