Doppler, A Roadies View

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Nerds and geeks begin mourning period.

A period of mourning has begun. Another original Star Trek cast member has died. James Doohan, aka Mr. Scott has been beamed up.

I am sorry for his family.

I actually have a story of Mr. Doohan. I was making a connecting flight home from a tour several years ago. My connection was in Chicago, United Airlines. I had about an hour layover and was sitting at the gate. I’m sitting there eating a sandwich and notice a man who looks familiar. I realize it is Mr. Scott from Star Trek.

I was never a big fan of the show, sure I watched it on TV when I was a kid. This was when it ran in prime time, before the reruns.

So when it comes time to board I notice he is on my flight. I’m seated only a couple rows in back of him. The thing I see was he was rather stand offish and cold to a couple people that tried to talk to him and get an autograph.

I thought this was a bit rude on his part. The man was on a show that ran just two seasons and spawned a couple of movies. This was it, his whole career basically. The man should have been lucky that anyone cared who he was. We are not talking about Jack Nicholson here. We are talking about a guy who is known for saying “I’m giving it all she's got Captain”

Oh well he had more fans than me.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home