Doppler, A Roadies View

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Trick or Treat.....huh



It's just past midnight and Halloween is over. Today didn't feel like a fall day nor did it feel like a day to dress up. It was nearly 70 degrees and sunny.

I returned home Monday night 10 days early. First thing I did yesterday was finally get a new chair for my living room. I have been looking around for quite awhile for one. Well I went big and I mean BIG with this one. Spent about $200 more than I planned but I figured if I am going to be home might as well be comfortable. Especially after the flights the other day.

I came back from Houston where the guys played Buzzfest which is a radio station festival. The date was previously scheduled to happen during the Canadian tour. Since the rest of it was cancelled we came home. We fly to Houston from Toronto on Air Canada on Saturday but on Monday I flew home on United since I was in the states. I travel with one suitcase and a small backpack and computer bag. The suitcase is a nice 30" wheel type. Now bare in mind I am on the road for weeks at a time and have to carry enough clothes for various weather conditions, especially this time of year. Plus I'm a tall guy my clothes aren't small.

I try not to over pack but I am usually at the weight limit of 50 lbs. Sometimes I am a couple pounds over and it usually isn't a big deal.

Well, on this day it was a big deal to the bitch behind the counter. I try to be nice and this women just about set me off. She was rude, condescending and acted like I was trying to take money out her pocket. She didn't want to work with me on it. I was 4 lbs over and could not get anything else in my backpack. I asked her no wonder people were so down on her airline with an attitude like that. She made a remark that it was people like me that were costing them money. I nearly slapped her and told her well I would be getting my money back one way or another.

The other thing that made it a bad day is the airport itself. Houston's Bush international airport is a dump. This is a major hub and it is run down. It has terrible amenities and if you can believe it. At 10 am there is a Mc Donald's, a Pizzeria Uno and a chinese place. Nice choices for breakfast.

There is only one metal detector at each part of the terminals. That's right one detector and one line.

To top it off I was on a small jet, which is not bad, unless you are in the last row next to the bathroom, in a seat that doesn't recline. No the lady at the check in was not responsible, I tried to change my seat on line before I got to the airport but the flight was full.

I don't understand how airlines in the US can operate like this. Air Canada seems to have no problem operating with nice planes, friendly and helpful employees. Plus there jets all have televisions with various programs, movies, music etc and they don't charge you to use it. Jet Blue is the closest one there is in America.

It is not just Canada, Europe has better service with in the continent.

Ok, so I am going to sit back and write my complaint to United. Wish me luck.

Labels: , ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home