Doppler, A Roadies View

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The age of the new phone

I’m one of those people who are always looking to save a buck. Call me cheap, call me thrifty, call me, call me industrious, and call me whatever you want. Everyone else does. I guess it was my upbringing not to waste money. You know the "save for the future" speech.

Most companies only give you a break to get your business and could care less once they get you.

So right after the holidays as the bills came in. I tried to figure out where to cut some of the financial fat. It occurred to me that the phone bills were a bit out of control. I have a landline and a cell phone. My cell bill is a bit high; but then again I have nationwide coverage and free incoming. I also have the walkie-talkie feature and some basic Internet.

The landline is another story. Local and regional calling only with my service and long distance are extra. I never really call long distance from that phone so it was no big deal. However, I was paying over $35 a month to have a phone to make a local call. This is a waste and I was thinking of just using the cell as my main phone.

Then I looked intodigital phone service. Did I really want another bill on my cable? I use Earthlink as my ISP through my local cable provider. I like them, besides when I travel I can use my account to dial in from a landline. They sent me an offer for 30 days free to try the digital phone.

They send you the phone modem and you set it up. I took me all of about five minutes. A couple weeks go by and I find I like it. Besides I can call anywhere in the US and Canada, unlimited and no extra charge. This is only costing $32 which includes tax. The per minute overseas rates are also very cheap. London is 3¢ a minute.

I know I’m paying almost the same as the old landline, but I’m getting much more. They include voice mail, caller ID, three way calling, and all the stuff the bells charge extra for. Plus I cut back on the minutes that I needed on my cell phone.

Ok so I sound like a salesman here. Let me get to the point. You can keep your old number when you switch. You have to send a letter, which goes to your old phone company. It usually takes 20 business days. Well mine has gone a bit longer and I call the digital provider to find out what the hold up is.

Would you believe they gave me another month for FREE because of the delay? Now that is the way to treat you customers.

Say goodbye to the traditional landline.

1 comment(s):

I hear a lot of people are ditching their landlines for cells. I just don't think cells have the clarity inside a house that they could. Or maybe I've just not had good luck with them.

By Blogger Willow, at 12:31 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home