Doppler, A Roadies View

Saturday, March 12, 2005

$2.50 a gallon

Saturday morning already, where does the time go? It’s still cold here; at least the sun is shining.

So as many people who live in the states know. Fuel prices have gone up again this week, an average of 12¢ a gallon in my area alone. New York State is turning into California as far as being above the national average. We have to pay for the ethanol that has been added.

It would be nice to get out and drive somewhere, you know just to get away. I just can’t seem to bring myself to do it. Money is tight these days and I guess I’m being cheap. It’s sad that we have to consider when and when not to travel just because of the cost.

There are news reports saying gas prices will average over $2.50/gal by summer. You can bet there will be a backlash. The tourist industry will suffer. Hotels, restaurants, amusement parks, national parks are all going to see drops in customers.

My industry will be hard hit again. It’s already become very expensive for musicians to tour. Ticket prices are through the roof. Concert attendance’s are down. I hear people saying all the time they can’t afford to see more than a concert or two per year, if any. These are the same ones who would attend at least a half dozen or more.

What does it mean for me and people like me. Less work or working for less money. When we have less money we spend less money. People who work in the touring industry spend a lot of money on consumer products. We are gadget freaks, if it’s new we need to have it first. It’s in our nature.

Do we always need these items? Well no not always and the way things are going we won’t be able to afford to pay the monthly bills.

2 comment(s):

I pay about $1.80 and have pumped gas myself twice in my entire life. I love New Jersey.

By Blogger Eric Wormann, at 12:21 AM  

I've never heard anyone say they love New Jersey {LOL}. No seriously, it's amazing the difference in price from states that boarder each other. Michigan is much cheaper than say Ohio or Indiana. Texas is much cheaper than Louisiana.

I guess it's based on the state tax.

By Blogger Doppler, at 9:34 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home