Doppler, A Roadies View

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The work load increases



Just under a month from the first show. I have spent the last 10 days going back and forth with lighting companies. Anytime you do a tour and rent lighting, sound, buses, whatever. You contact several vendors and get the best quote.

Now on this tour we are not carrying full production. What that means is we are traveling with the bands personal equipment, but some limited production. The sound and lighting will be provided by the venue or local production company. Actually 99% of the venues on this tour have in house production.

On this tour, as in the fall, we will be traveling with a monitor system. This is the speaker system that the band uses on stage so that they can hear themselves.

Unlike the last few tours we are going to carry some of our own lights. Just some moving lights which we be on the stage placed around the band gear. If we had the budget I would travel with an additional dozen and fly them over the band.

It's fine since many of the venues have moving lights.

For this tour I had specked out Martin 250 Entours. When I started getting bids I was offered some brighter lights for the same price from one of the vendors. They are a little bit older as far as technology but will work for this tour. I have used them on several tours over the years.

If I had the budget it would be Martin 2000 profiles. If you attend a concert in an arena these days, many of the shows are using them. Maybe next time. So I will have my old friends the High End Studio Spot on the road for now.

Labels: , , ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home