Doppler, A Roadies View

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Stagehand accident

David Bowie cancelled a concert about a week and half ago in Miami. During the set change between the opening act Stereophonics and Bowie's performance, there was an accident. A local crew guy fell from a truss ladder. He did not survive. Wally Thomas was his name. He was a stagehand in Miami FL. I didn't know him. I have worked in the business as a touring crew person for 18+ years. I also worked as a stagehand when I was off the road during much of that time. I am saddened by his loss. My condelences go out to him and his family. It is unfortunate that this happened. I imagine he was doing a job he loved. Most of us in this business have a passion for it. The job is hard work and long hours. But it can be very rewarding and fun too.

It is one of the safest industries, but accidents can happen. On that rare occasion, something like this. I was on a tour several years ago where a security guard died at the end of our show. An unfortunate accident that I will not go into detail here.

As for Wally, I don't know the details. I'm guessing he wasn't wearing a safety harness. Whether or not, I cannot stress enough the importance of them when climbing a truss or rigging. OSHA will be all over this incident, as rightly they should. Hopefully we will not see a bunch of lawsuits and this getting dragged through the courts.

To anyone who knew Wally please send my condolences to his family and everyone in his local union. A fellow crew member is gone, but we continue to carry on his spirit in our daily duties.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home