Doppler, A Roadies View

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Toronto.....Not again

It's been a couple of days since another stage collapse.  This one in  Toronto, Canada happened during the afternoon just before the band Radiohead concert was to take place.  Four people were hurt, one of them Scott Johnson was the bands drum tech and he lost his life.  I didn't know Scott but in my business we all consider ourselves "brothers and sisters" and refer to each other that way.

Scott was a brother, one of us.  We all feel a sense of loss.  I can't imagine what his family is going through. My family has and still worries about me when I'm on tour.  It's incidents like this that make you step back and look at your own life.

I am one of those people that is always looking around my work situation and making sure that things are safe for me and those around me.  If I see something that doesn't look right I speak up.  The last few years I have been even more aware.

As I have mentioned before in previous post I help build and set up these outdoor stages for a production company here at home when I'm not on tour.  So I guess my senses are heightened a bit more.

I will be heading back on the road in a few weeks with the band YES for another round of shows.  There are a couple of outdoor shows where we will be on stages built by someone else that I probably don't know.  I will be the one guy who will be looking over everything with a keen eye.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home